[Asterisk-Users] Modems behind Asterisk - how?

John Vogel johnv at comcast.net
Mon Jun 28 15:47:47 MST 2004

The configuration I'm building replaces an existing PBX with Asterisk. There
are 8 existing modems that people use to call in from the outside to connect
to PC(s) on the inside to transfer data, etc. Callers access these modems by
calling the main number and then dialing an extension for the modem they
want to talk to.

What are my options for supporting these modems with Asterisk? Here are two
ideas and some pro's and con's:

1. Use 4 Sipuras (approx. $400). Only problem is, I can't get this to work!
Sipura says use the G711 codec but it's not working for me. Anybody have
this working?

2. Use 8 FXS ports (approx. $700). Haven't tried this yet but it is more
expensive.

Other suggestions? Advice?

Thanks!