[Asterisk-Users] Confused with CallerID when using the iax chanenls

Joe Dennick joe at dennick.net
Sun Jun 27 08:27:12 MST 2004

Caller Ids get set in the sip.conf file for the specific device that
originates the call.  Whatever SIP device you are using to originate the
call should send its Caller ID to the end-point, even through IAX.  I
would, however, recommend that you stop using IAX and use IAX2 in its
place.  Just keep in mind that IAX2 uses UDP Port 4569 instead of 5063
(so adjust your firewall appropriately).  If you don't specify the port
in the dial-string, it will automatically use the default.  I
specifically do NOT specify the context in the dial string because I
only allow incoming IAX calls to go to a specific context (as defined in
iax.conf).  My dial string looks like:

     Dial(IAX2/user:pass at peer/${EXTEN})