[Asterisk-Users] Echo worse after new echo patch

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Sat Jun 26 13:19:00 MST 2004

> I was excited to see the announcement on the list regarding the fix for
> the echo problems on Digium FXO cards!
>
> I have 2 X101P's, TDM400P with 4 FXS modules and couple of XLite
> softphones.  A few months back,I had gone thru the recommendation on the
> list to remove echo from the SIP phones(I never did have any echo on the
> TDM400P FXS phones), and had removed about 90% of the echo.  There was
> still some occassionally that I couldn't figure out how to get rid of.
>
> I used MARK2 without the AGRESSIVE cancel option with the following
> zaptel.conf settings before the latest path:
>
> echocancel=yes
> echocancelwhenbridged=yes
> echotraining=yes
> rxgain=8.0
>
> after applying the patch my settings are the same except for:
>
> echotraining=800
>

> Problem:
>
> I'm seeing is that echo is actually worse on the XLite SIP
> phones!  Also, my wife is telling me that the Vtech 5.8 Ghz cordless
> attached to the TDM400P now actually has some echo, when it never did
> before.  (I received the infamous, "What did you do to the phone...it
> sounds terrible!")
>
> Any ideas or suggestions?
>
> Will the path affect the rxgain setting?  Will that need to be
> re-adjusted?
>
> What would cause echo to show up on the TDM400P FXS phones?
>
> Is the success people are seeing with the echo patch using the AGRESSIVE
> suppressor?

I've not tested the x101p card with the newest patch. I'd have to guess
your rxgain is set to high.

For my tdm04b fxo card, I've commented out the gain adjustments from
zapata.conf totally and let them default. No echo here at all. Every-
thing else is stock compile (no aggressive, etc).

Seems to me (but I could be wrong) that I seen some code somewhere
that implied there might be some auto-gain things going on. Certainly
won't hurt to comment them out and restart everything. If memory
serves correctly, need to stop asterisk and reload the zaptel stuff
as well.

Rich