[Asterisk-Users] Cheap (US$120 or less) SIP Phones

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Sat Jun 26 00:35:27 MST 2004

On Jun 25, 2004, at 8:51 PM, asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com
wrote:

> I highly recommend the UIP200. Although I haven't used all the phones
> out there, I know it performs and sounds a lot better than the Snom
> 200 and Grandstream...comparable to Cisco 7960 in sound quality. We
> use it for our Asterisk set up in the office and it is fully
> compatible. Couple of down sides are: no web server and no STUN
> support. Outbound proxy is what you have to use if behind a home
> router NAT. Uniden tech support said they focus on business
> deployment, so mass configuration using files and TFTP server is their
> choice for configuring. No web server is a little bit annoying when
> you just want to make changes to one phone and don't feel like editing
> a text file, but when you need to make a common change or firmware
> upgrade for 20 phones, you only need to change one file and reboot all
> phones for them to take effect...then this is great. It'd be nice if
> they support both methods! STUN is said to be available in next
> firmware release  in a couple months along with addit
>  ional
>  features.

I'm in the process of trying to get a UIP200. I say "in process"
because I ordered one online, but was told they are on backorder for at
least two weeks. I ordered mine from here:

http://www.thevoipconnection.com/store/customer/home.php?cat=253

It looks like a great phone, I just wish I could get my hands on one
soon and try it out.

--
Seth "veritas vos liberabit" Mattinen
sethm at rollernet.us