[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk & SIP

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Fri Jun 25 09:25:37 MST 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Fletcher Bonds wrote:

> 1. A general "will this work?" (vmware linux, same pc as phone, NAT'd
> addresses,etc)

You'll probably be the first person to try it.  I'd guess that it will
work, but expect call quality to be impacted because of all the extra
scheduling and virtualisation.

You will need to make sure that UDP streams from your linux side can get
through the Windows with NATTing, and importantly that replies get back.
Port 5060 needs to be "permanently" directed through to Linux.  You set
another range of ports in rtp.conf (rtpstart and rtpend) - these will also
need directing through to Linux.

> 3. Reading the various published SIP documentation (Ubiquity's
> 'Understanding SIP' for instance), it seems like freeworlddialup is acting
> as Registrar, Proxy & Redirect server.  Is that accurate?

With SIP there are all these terms - but practically speaking you send SIP
messages somewhere, and get replies.  FWD is a place which you talk to
using SIP.  I guess they are a registry (you can send REGISTER packets).
They aren't generally a proxy - usually your audio streams end up going
directly to the other endpoint.  They do have a proxy that you can use if
you need to because of NAT.  You might need it.  And I don't know what a
redirect server does.

> 4. How do I tell the freeworlddialup registrar 'where' to find my PBX?

You put a register line in your sip.conf

> Should I setup an account from it - like I did with the softphone on XP - so
> it will have a 'phone number' of its own?

Yes - you can open another FWD account, or you can use the one you setup
for your XP softphone.

>  Or is the proxy/redirect server
> expecting to talk to the Asterisk PBX in some other way?

FWD is happy to talk to you with SIP.  They do also have a test connection
using IAX, Asterisk's own protocol - but why not leave that for another
day.