[Asterisk-Users] Latest CVS fax detection & grandstream bug

Andrew Yager andrew at rwts.com.au
Fri Jun 25 06:39:37 MST 2004

Hi,

I have finally tracked down this problem a bit more. The problem is not
actually related to the Grandstream phones - just they were the only
obvious exhibitors of the problem.

The problem seems to be that when faxdetect is set in zapata.conf,
asterisk does not inform the sip phones that a voice call has started
actually been answered.

The console shows this:

     -- Executing Dial("SIP/1000-b180", "Zap/1/0405152568||m") in new
stack
     -- Called 1/0405152568
     -- Started music on hold, class 'default', on SIP/1000-b180
	(mobile ringing & answered, but SIP phone still playing hold music)
     -- Stopped music on hold on SIP/1000-b180
	(hungup sip phone)
     -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
   == Spawn extension (local, 0405152568, 1) exited non-zero on
'SIP/1000-b180'

In this case, not even my fantastic Cisco phone can hold or transfer
the call. I still thinks it is ringing.

If I remove the faxdetect line, I get the following behaviour:

    -- Remote UNIX connection
     -- Executing Dial("SIP/1000-ac04", "Zap/1/0405152568||m") in new
stack
     -- Called 1/0405152568
     -- Started music on hold, class 'default', on SIP/1000-ac04
     -- Zap/1-1 answered SIP/1000-ac04
	(phone & mobile ringing, answered mobile call)
     -- Stopped music on hold on SIP/1000-ac04
     -- Hungup 'Zap/1-1'
   == Spawn extension (local, 0405152568, 1) exited non-zero on
'SIP/1000-ac04'

This time, it is all good. The Cisco phone realises the call is in
progress and works perfectly.

Setting faxdetect=no causes everything to behave absolutely properly,
with no problems whatsoever.

For reference sake - upgrading the grandstream phone to the 1.5.0
firmware has meant that it now behaves similarly to the Cisco phone and
carries audio to the handset even during the non-ringing stage.

Any help on what to do from here would be useful.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Yager
Real World Technology Solutions