[Asterisk-Users] Howto: Installing Asterisk and ISDN on Fedora Core 1

Asterisk asterisk at dotr.com
Fri Jun 25 03:46:28 MST 2004

I've managed to install and run Asterisk on a Fedora Core 1 server using the
fritz avm
ISDN card, and thought I'd share how it was done.

This worked for me:

Server:
Dell 6450
Quad Xeon 700 2Mb Cache
4GB Ram
2x18GB SCSI (Mirrored)
ISDN card (fritz!pci). This is packaged as a BT ISDN card.

* Install FC1 from CD. Select only server components, development
environment and kernel development

* Yum update
    Important - you must do this - it installs a new kernel, not the buggy
release kernel.

* Reboot

* Install atrpms-55-1.rhfc1.at.i386.rpm (from
http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/atrpms)

* Install
kernel-module-fcpci-2.4.22-1.2194.nptlsmp-03.11.02-3.rhfc1.at.i686.rpm (from
http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/fcpci)

* vi /etc/capi.conf
    should contain a single line
    fcpci - - - - - -

* modprobe fcpci

* lsmod
    Should now show fcpci and kernelcapi loaded

* capiinit

* Get Asterisk
    from a shell,
    cd /usr/src
    export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs at cvs.digium.com:/usr/cvsroot
    cvs login (anoncvs is the password)
    cvs checkout zaptel libpri asterisk

* Build Asterisk
    cd /usr/src/zaptel
    make clean;make install;make config
    cd /usr/src/libpri
    make clean;make install;make config
    cd /usr/src/asterisk
    make clean;make install;make samples

* Get chan_capi (from
http://www.junghanns.net/asterisk/downloads/chan_capi.0.3.4a.tar.gz)

* Extract chan_capi
    cd /usr/src
    tar -zxvf /tmp/chan_capi* (assuming the file was downloaded into /tmp)

* Build chan_capi
    cd chan_capi
    make clean; make install; make config

* Add chan_capi into Asterisk by changing modules.conf

[modules]
autoload=yes
noload => pbx_gtkconsole.so
noload => pbx_kdeconsole.so
noload => app_intercom.so

load => chan_modem.so
load => res_musiconhold.so
; following two lines added
load => res_parking.so
load => chan_capi.so

noload => chan_alsa.so

[global]
chan_modem.so=yes
; following line added
chan_capi.so=yes

* Start Asterisk
    asterisk -vvvvc (should be no errors)

* Place a call to the ISDN line.

As I said, this worked for me. The real problem I had before was getting the
drivers for the isdn card to work. However, downloading them from the atrpms
site worked first time no errors!

Please feel free to tear this apart if you want.

Julian.