R: R: R: [Asterisk-Users] How to force G729

Martijn van Oosterhout martijn at ecomtel.com.au
Thu Jun 24 21:04:17 MST 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 09:52:45AM -0700, Chris A. Icide wrote:
> It sounds like what you are looking for is an Asterisk-wide (or perhaps
> channel-specific) preserve_codec option.  Where preserve_codec=1 means that
> asterisk tries to preserve the originating codec if at all possible, and
> preserve_codec=0 lets asterisk freely choose any codec per whatever
> algorithm it chooses.  As far as I know, this option doesn't exist, but
> depending upon the need, perhaps someone should issue a feature
> request.  It seems like this might be an easy feature to add.

I wonder, if you remove all the codec converters, or set their cost very
high, would that help?

Given that the cost of no conversion is by definition zero, it's a bit odd
that asterisk is changing them at all unless absolutly required. There must
be something else going on...
--
Martijn van Oosterhout
IT Manager