[Asterisk-Users] Leave one call to pick up another

Brian Capouch brianc at palaver.net
Thu Jun 24 13:47:00 MST 2004

I have mailed the list on this topic, asked on the IRC channel, and even
called Digium.  I have two customers who are pretty upset about this,
and it hasn't helped my standing with them that I have so far in several
months not been able to help them.

It seems a simple request: I have a system with two X101Ps and a TDM30.
  Customer is talking on the phone, his Zap FXS interface using one of
the Zap outbound channels on a call to the PSTN.

Now, while the person is talking, a call comes in on the *other*
incoming Zap channel, and the customer can see on the CID display that
it's a call that they want to take.

Now the Rub: There appears to be no way to leave a call (as in hangup
and the call is torn down) and pick up the incoming one in this manner.
  The unfortunate and apparently ONLY way to get the call coming in is
to put the existing call on hold, but then that locks the line from the
perspective of the existing caller--they're on hold, not disconnected,
racking up LD charges.

This is kind of a hard one to explain, but the situation is very real
and very difficult.

I'd be eternally grateful if someone could explain how to do what we
need to do here.

Thanks.

B.