[Asterisk-Users] IAX2 Trunking help!

Kevin Walsh kevin at cursor.biz
Tue Jun 22 07:54:10 MST 2004

David Cook [dbc_asterisk at advan.ca] wrote:
> So you're saying that the following would be the same?
>
> iax.conf
> [YOUR_REC_SERVER]
> secret=mysecret
> host=my.receiving.server.ca
> context=local
>
> extensions.conf
> exten => _5XXX,1,Dial(IAX2/YOUR_REC_SERVER/${EXTEN})
>
> If so, what about the type=peer/user/friend thing? I did read the docs
> but maybe I'm thick. Maybe the visual person in me needs to see a matrix.

If that's on your outgoing side then you'll also need "type = peer"
in there.  The incoming side would have "type = user".

Outgoing = peer, incoming = user.  "Friend" is both incoming and
outgoing, but you probably don't want to use that.

> Further, If I can get two boxes to talk together like this, what
> exactly is the "register" for ... what does it actually do?

The register is so that you can use "host = dynamic" on the incoming
side.  In that case, you will have to register your location with
your peer before you can receive incoming calls.

If both sides plan to stay on a known IP address then they don't
need to register their location with one another;  Simply specify
the hostname or address instead of using "host = dynamic" on the
incoming side.  Clearly, one of the two endpoints must remain at a
known location.

You might also want to look into using "auth = md5" or "auth = rsa",
to prevent your passwords from being sent across the internet in plain
text.

 _/ _/    _/          _/ _/     _/    _/  _/_/    kevin at cursor.biz