[Asterisk-Users] Testing UK emergency dialing and LCR.

Jason Williams jason at redskycomputing.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 02:19:52 MST 2004

At 18:58 21/06/2004 +1000, you wrote:
>On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 19:27, Storer, Darren wrote:
> > Hi Kevin,
> >
> > KW> By the way, it's useful to map 911 and 112 onto your 999
> > KW> route for the benefit of foreigners who don't know any better.
> >

>Well, while you are at it, you might as well add-in 000, because that is
>what we use.
>
>(BTW, why is it that people used 000, 999, 911, etc for EMERGENCY calls
>(every second counts) when we used to dial from rotary dial phones,
>where dialling a 0 or 9 takes a long time compared to dialling a 1....
>Why didn't we all use 111, or something similar?)

The reason 111 is not used is the old rotary dial phones, The rotary dial
works by breaking the line a number of times for
each number so a 9 breaks the line 9 times, if you had 1 1 1 it would be 1
line break and a short pause very quick to dial but
bouncing on the phone hook could have the same affect and increase the
number of miss dials the chances of 27 hook flashes
in the right times to dial 999 is very slim, however with three hook
flashes eg 1 1 1 is very simple