[Asterisk-Users] HST Saphir with Asterisk

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Jun 19 15:21:03 MST 2004

On Saturday 19 June 2004 17:59, Julian Pawlowski wrote:
> I would like to use my existing HST Saphir V S2M PCI with Asterisk.
> Unfortunately I could not find any information about the usage with
> Asterisk.

You're on your own; as a general rule the Asterisk community has turned up
their nose at trying to get every brand of modem imaginable working properly
with Asterisk.  There are just too many variables -- is the chipset
documentation available?  Is the card capable of full-duplex operation?  Does
it have a high-quality hybrid?  The list just goes on, and I for one agree
with Digium on this -- You're more than welcome to try to get it to work but
it's not supported.

The official recommendation is to purchase an X101P from Digium.  If you're
resourceful (hint: use google and search the mailing list archives) you will
find that it is possible to obtain the same hardware for much more
economically, although it is officially unsupported and others have had
trouble buying X101P "clones".

Digium also sells a kit which has one port to plug a phone into and one port
to plug a phone line in to as an "entry level" kit.  This kit is expandable,
although it's not exactly cheap.

You must remember that Asterisk is provided completely free of charge for
noncommercial use; it's not too much to ask to buy the hardware from Digium.

Regards,
Andrew