[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream CFG file generator

Fri Jun 18 18:01:04 MST 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 06:13, Stephen R. Besch wrote:

> So, if someone could brief me on the GPL issue, and (perhaps someone
> else) offer a distribution point, it's free for the asking, VB sources
> and all.
>
> Stephen R. Besch

Alright, I've waited a long time before offering this. Anyway, the short
note is, if you want a central website for *anyone* to be able to upload
a file to share with other users, etc etc.. specifically for Asterisk
related (but perhaps off-topic for this list files) then visit
http://www.websitemanagers.com.au/asterisk/

Some people might be interested in what this all is, so here is some
more details.

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there was a quasi GPL product
called Big Brother (http://www.bb4.com -> http://www.bb4.org) which
allowed a network/system admin to easily monitor their network/systems
and alert themselves of problems. I happened to be in a position where I
needed that, and liked this product the most (out of the ones available
at the time). After getting it to work, and participating in the mailing
list quite a bit, I started to realise there was a major thing missing.
The whole point of BB is that it is easy to write a simple shell script
(or any other language) to monitor 'something' and integrate it into BB.
The problem was that everyone wrote really neat scripts, but the only
way to share them was via the mailing list. Eventually I setup a public
FTP archive for people to share these add-ons/scripts/etc
(ftp.deadcat.net) (Probably some time around 1995, I can't remember
exactly). After a few years, I moved the site to use a nicer web
interface (The archive was growing too big). So, http://www.deadcat.net/
was born. A while ago (maybe a year ago) I re-vamped the whole system
and created the current version that is there.

About a month or two ago, I decided to just copy it all across and setup
the same thing for Asterisk, but then eventually decided not to announce
it just yet. Now I think it really could be useful. We have a lot of
patches/tools/scripts/etc which are quite neat, but we don't have a
central place to go and find them. The wiki is kind of good, but not
quite 100% designed for file sharing, it is much better at documentation
(which is why I also host the BB wiki).

So, I reckon the site could be useful, and I'm willing to throw some
time and money at making it work, but either way, it is up to the
community to decide if they want to use it. All I can say in
encouragement is that today, most people who ask "Can I do xyz in BB"
get the answer of "See www.deadcat.net" (and most things are there). The
reason being that if exactly xyz isn't there, it should be pretty simple
to modify the script that does xy to do z as well.

Oh, suggestions, comments, etc, on the website (such as new categories
wanted) are most welcome, when sent off-list to
asterisk at websitemanagers.com.au

BTW, I own and operate http://www.websitemanagers.com.au/ and the site
is sponsored by me. I have my mail client to remove my .sig for this
mailing list, but I include it below in this email only.

Oh dear, one more thing, to upload files, you need to register,
registration requires a valid email address. I have never used the email
addresses of any contributor to www.deadcat.net in any way (other than
specific emails to a contributor to pass on patches/comments/etc from
another user. I promise to do the same for the asterisk system. ie, the
email address is only for authentication/password remind me and very
rare administrivia.

I like asterisk, I use it, I try to contribute where I can.

OK, I'll shut up now.

--
Adam Goryachev
Website Managers