[Asterisk-Users] LDAP synchronization script

Stefan de Konink skinkie at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 18 06:11:55 MST 2004

The base problem, I presume is not that there is no documentation, but how
to combine all those defacto standards, from an user and an application
point of view.
An Active Directory implementation in Linux (for users and application)
for me starts with the standard PAM/NSS stuff but why not extend that for
Jabber, Asterisk, Postfix/Sendmail, DHCPd, DNS and a zillion other stuff
like (a higher level) ENUM?

For most of the above application are 'dynamic' ldap backends made, which
are usable. Though what is the best thing to start with? Application with
users under it. Users with Application under it. Or the last type I think
it is the most usuable way of implementing:

Organisation/
	Groups/
		Applications	(Group/Application Specific configs)
	Users/
		Applications	(User/Application Specific configs)
	Applications	(Organisation Specific configs)

Applications (Basic configuration)
	Name/			(Name like Asterisk)
		ID/		(Which Asterisk server IP address etc.)

Which makes .application and /etc/application obsolete if well
implemented. Performance wise you would not want to poll the LDAP server
24/7 (though I want it ;) but only fetch while reloading.

In the combination and integration of those things I'm now writing a
thesis with a production proof-proof of concept, for Unified Messaging in
a Box. Though, importing all schema's like cosine, dhcpd, etc. the mess
only gets bigger eq. there need to be a basic structure and I would
like to have some feedback about it.

The main objective is to make the user have a 'home' peer/server, though
it doesn't depends on this peer but it is like 'the first choice'. For
example two Asterisk servers, one crashes the other peer/server takes over
and starts accepting the other servers its users.

Ok, this basically implies there is a distributed filesystem around, at
the moment I use CodaFS for that. (Requires patching of some programs like
Postfix)

Stefan