[Asterisk-Users] Maximum retries exceeded on call

Eric C. Snowdeal III eric at snowdeal.org
Fri Jun 18 05:08:28 MST 2004

Holger Schurig wrote:

>>i'm new to asterisk and am having trouble placing outbound calls.  i
>>

>Bug Grandstream so that they finally fix their buggy software.
>
>The GS phone sends occassional SIP packets to port 0, not to port 5060, as
>tcpdump or (better) ethereal will show you.
>
>There's a page on this at voip-info.org.

thanks for the heads-up about grandstream, but as i stated in the
original message, i'm using xten lite softphones.   hopefully this is
the approproriate forum for this question; i believe this is not an xten
configuration issue because i can connect to a ser/rtproxy/nathelper
server without problems and i can connect directly to a voicepulse
account, which leads me to believe that this is an * configuration
problem on my part.  less likely, i suppose, is the chance that * isn't
as robust in handling nat than ser or whatever voicepulse is running.

given the configuration files that i posted in the original message, are
there any changes that i should make?  certainly the asterisk faq makes
the solution seems straighforward [1]:

"Most likely you have a SIP client behind NAT that is trying to
communicate with Asterisk without having the "nat=yes" setting in place
in sip.conf. Another cause for this could be related to a user device
that has an sip entry but has been physically removed (switched off or
LAN-disconnected)."

but as my original message showed, i do have nat=yes in my sip.conf and
i don't believe the latter scenario is true.

any help is greatly appreciated.

[1] http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+FAQ