[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk as Internet Talk Radio PBX system

Barton Hodges barton at gcmcomputers.com
Thu Jun 17 10:23:38 MST 2004

James Sutton wrote:
> I see in the archives a brief thread between Barton and w last
> November 2003 about streaming to the Internet.   I'd like to use an
> Asterisk to mediate multiple VOIP calls originated from the Internet
> to the studio to be mixed then passed out to an encoding PC thence
> back to Internet

I am working on this very thing at the moment, although on a single
box.  Some specifics so far:

Using Icecast/Ices to stream ogg.
The stream is connected to a MeetMe "on-air" conference room.
Music or whatever is connected from the line-in jack on the sound card
using alsa and ices.
Callers can come in VOIP or PSTN and are placed in "hold" conference
room until they are bridged into the "on-air" room.
Callers on hold listen to the live stream by using an application
"OggPlayer" (a modified MP3Player application) that connects ogg123
into their room.

I'm not currently doing any line-out (such as you want to send to your
mixer), but plan to do so.

> I wonder if there is a group discussion of this type of
functionality.

Perhaps we've just started one :)

Barton