[Asterisk-Users] Cost of IP Phones, or Isn't It Just Software?

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Thu Jun 17 09:43:50 MST 2004

I don't think I was missing the point.  Hardware and software
development are very much the same -- In my original proposal, I
suggested a type of communal development -- engineers would receive a
share of the company proportional to the time they donated.  I have done
this type of development on several projects before, and have always
more than recouped my initial investment.  Consider it open-source with
a business plan.  However, in addition to development cost, hardware
carries a high up-front cost for the first production run, while
software has virtually no media cost.

Secondly, I didn't consider what you wrote a dig at my business, since
you misread my first post:  I didn't say "I can do this cheaper", I said
"I can do this cheaper AND BETTER".  Our software provides the same core
functionalty as the legacy systems, but presents that functionality in a
manner that is much more user-friendly.  Above that, we add about 200%
more functionality than the legacy systems.  Would we have done this
without the existing systems?  Probably, as the need was for a usable
front-end with some added functionality; we just chose to include core
functionality.

I feel this is getting off-topic... Sorry.