[Asterisk-Users] 911 emergency service and VoIP

John Fraizer tvo at enterzone.net
Thu Jun 17 09:33:14 MST 2004

Andrew Kohlsmith wrote:

> On Thursday 17 June 2004 11:38, John Fraizer wrote:
>
>>If you have PRI service into your * server, it is possible - though not
>>always easy - to set the ALI database information specific for each ANI
>>(DID number) that you use.  I do this with our PRI's.  Depending on
>>which number we present to the telco, the ALI is different.
>

> Do you have information on how to do this?  This is *precisely* what I want to
> do.  I assumed you set this up with your telco and then set the caller ID to
> the # matching the address you wanted, leaving the telco to do the address
> match.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew

The service that you need from your telco is called PS/ALI or "Private
Switch/Automatic Location Identification".  Most phone companies are
*capable* of doing this.  The sales critters generally don't know what
the ^&#@@ you're talking about though so, ask them to get their 911
coordinator involved.  The 911 coordinator will know EXACTLY what you're
talking about.

And yes, the location information (ALI) is held in a database outside of
your system.  You simply send the appropriate ANI information and the
ALI is mapped to it.  If you put a phone in at 123 E. Main Street with a
DID of 123-456-7890, you update the ALI information for 123-456-7890 to
match.

John