[Asterisk-Users] asterisk/netmeeting works, asterisk/ohphone doesn't?

Martijn van Oosterhout martijn at ecomtel.com.au
Wed Jun 16 21:46:13 MST 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 08:34:25PM +0300, Michael Manousos wrote:
> Martin List-Petersen wrote:
> >The first channel driver i tried was asterisk-oh323, which gave me very
> >poor results (asterisk core dumping, if i got a connect i had echo + 10
> >secs delay on a Lan connection, stuff like that).
>
> As the maintainer of asterisk-oh323, I would like to add that this is
> not true anymore. A lot of bugs have been eliminated and the latest
> release is functioning very well.

Ok, I had no core-dumping problems with either, it just didn't connect. I've
reverted to h323 and it works now but that's completely unrelated (see
below). One major thing I've noticed so far is that the oh323 driver
registers a number of aliases with the gatekeeper and the h323 driver just
registers the username. I'm sure this is configurable, I just couldn't see
it at quick glance.

The actual problem was a combination of things:
- OhPhone not complaining about the fact that it couldn't open the audio
device
- The fact that the soundcard didn't support full-duplex after all
- Even after all that, OhPhone couldn't find the plugins and so wasn't
negotiating a common codec.
- Asterisk not noticing or complaining that no sound channels were
configured for the connection.

The end result being that asterisk was happily "playing" the demo, but not
actually transmitting anything and OhPhone wasn't sending anything even
though it could see the mixer settings. Now everything works.

Sorry for the noise people.
--
Martijn van Oosterhout
IT Manager