[Asterisk-Users] Cost of IP Phones, or Isn't It Just Software?

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Wed Jun 16 20:53:19 MST 2004

You're correct -- I believe I pointed out in my original post that there
is a $200+ difference between a cordless Cisco with/without software.
And that's plain ridiculous.  Plus, the phone alone isn't worth $500 in
hardware -- so we're obviously dealing with GREED here.

My knee-jerk response to such business tactics always has been to do it
better and cheaper.  Six years ago, I was talking to IT personel in
industry "X".  There were two established mainframe solutions in that
industry serving 80% of the market, costing $50K-$75K start-up cost per
location, plus $1K+ per seat.  Never mind the $10K-$15K monthly
"maintenance" cost.  Never mind that everyone had to be able to work a
terminal with a lovely amber on black, text-based "GUI".

In response, we set out to write a better application, using a
relational DB, Windows GUI, etc.  We now have installed over 600
locations nationwide (capturing almost 16% market share), offering a
much better solution at a lower cost.  Our company employs some 20
programmers, 40 support and 20 training staff, and we're greatly
profitable.

Cisco would be smart to drop the prices of their phones to realistic
levels -- if their phones cost $200 instead of $400, they would probably
only make $100/phone, but they'd sell disproportionally more phones to
balance this out.  On the other hand, they'd really P.O. their current
customers who paid their inflated prices.  Sucks to be them.

So, reading all the great feedback on this, what if we took an
open-source SIP phone (Siphon, KPhone), figure out the least amount of
hardware to run it, configure a PC104 or other SBC prototype and then
show it to investors.  Heck, I think I may just try this out sometime...

$400 buys me a 5.25" sized miniboard with Dual-Lan, onboard Audio, usb,
serial, CF port (for disk-on-chip), etc.  Another $100 gets me a serial
LCD, and for $2.50 I can pick up parts to adapt a telephone handset to
the sound-card's impedance.  It would seem that this is the complete
deal.  Part cost for prototype: Less than $1K.  Software is GPL'd.  Then
I'd have an actual prototype to show the banks and pass off to product
engineering team.  Software can remain open source, and the hardware is
nothing more than a very specialized PC with built-in UA and handset.

BTW, where can you get the Grandstream for $50?  That's a decent
alternative to having Sipuras and analog phones everywhere in this
house.