[Asterisk-Users] Invalid Extensions -- More like traditional PBX systems?

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Wed Jun 16 11:24:13 MST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 09:32, Stephen Rosebush wrote:
> I was wondering if there was a way of setting up the dialplan in a way
> that if you dial an extension that is NOT in the dialplan then it would
> play a not-in-service gsm file and then play congestion tones. I would
> rather like this better than just hearing a busy signal on my phones.. I
> DID search around on the wiki and using google and could not find anything.

This all basically depends on what technology you are using. Under zap,
you can use the invalid extension at anytime since you are already
inside asterisk at the time. With SIP and possible the other VoIP
phones, you send the extension all at once and it then determines what
to do with it. It might be nice if an invalid SIP call went to i, but I
don't know if anyone would implement that.

Another idea could be to create your dialplan just like you would for
zap and then create a special context for your SIP calls to come into
that matches all via a _. or some such pattern match. As it's first
priority, you could answer and then for 2 you could goto the zap style
context with (ZAP_context,${EXTEN},1), this would let your invalid
extension work like normal.