[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk hardware configuration and cost?

bluepuma at excite.com bluepuma at excite.com
Wed Jun 16 02:06:36 MST 2004

Hi there,

our old pbx contract will expire soon and we have now 2 pbx companies trying hard to sell us a new VoIP one. I am usually a friend of open source software and read about the Asterisk poject, but I can not assess if Asterisk fulfills all our requirements. It would be great to receive some input from experienced users to be able to convince our management.

My question is if the following scenario is possible with Asterisk and the estimated cost for it:

HARDWARE
- 1 external PRI E1 S2M 30 channel ISDN line
- 1 internal PRI E1 S2M 30 channel ISDN line (for IVR test server)
- 8 internal BRI S0 regular 2 channel ISDN lines (for smaller IVR test servers)
- 8 internal analog lines (for DECT phones and fax)
- 40 internal VoIP phones (Grandstream Budgetone?)

SOFTWARE/FUNCTIONALITY
- direct call through to phones with extension from external
- voice mail
- using VoIP softphone for home office days (and re-routing extension to it)
- CTI support (dialing from within Outlook using hardware VoIP phones)
- UMS support (storage of voice and fax on harddisk and possibility to mail it around)

Is this possible with Asterisk and can you indicate the cost for such an environment ?

thanx a lot!
Michael