[Asterisk-Users] CDR for transfered calls

Senad Jordanovic senad at boltblue.com
Tue Jun 15 18:55:31 MST 2004

>    I might be wrong here, on two counts: first, that any server in the
> path of reference needs to know the state of a call.  SIP is built on
> a stateless model, but Asterisk is half-stateless - it always keeps
> state for calls that are passing through it, but it tries to get rid
> of those calls as quickly as possible by relinquishing control to the
> clients.  Maybe this is good, maybe it's ultimately flawed.   The
> second place I might be flawed is that maybe we can keep the media
> stream; maybe it's not such a huge burden for what Asterisk is trying
> to do.  G.729 or ilbc are down in the <20 kbps range, so for a system
> that claims to be a "PBX", perhaps that's not a big deal.  If this
> claimed to be a "softswitch" then that would be a problem.  Many
> people are using it as a softswitch, which could cause the
> "half-stateless" and "media relay" problems to collide in a very ugly
> explosion of bad CDR's or Gig-E transit connections...
>
> JT

How about producing UA box with * on it and 1-2 fxs/fxo ports. It should
be a complete * system capable of dealing with 2-3 SIP/H323/IAX
channels. Something like Soekris 4801 board stripped down or even some
other CPU to keep the cost down. If box like this can be put together
cost effectively, then this device could be used to be part of complete
"global" system of * ONLY solution offering complete encryption and
authentication.

Encryption, because one can get each UA to establish required IPSEC
tunnels dynamically where IP SEC tunnels could follow (or rather lead)
media path.

Authentication for purpose of CDR stored locally on UA and centrally.
SSL certificates could be used on each UA to minimise fraud. In another
words, if the media path is set to by pass one or more * servers, then
each UA (originator and terminator) will have a job of "dumping" CDR
details into their "trusted" * server after a call is completed.