[Asterisk-Users] CDR for transfered calls

James Golovich james at wwnet.net
Tue Jun 15 14:13:25 MST 2004

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, John Todd wrote:

> Not all Asterisk channel types lose control when they step out of the
> media stream.  SIP devices will notify the proxy server (Asterisk, in
> our case) that a call has terminated, so even though the media stream
> never went through the "proxy" (Asterisk).  This is an important
> distinction between IAX2 and SIP - media and control messages are not
> tightly linked with SIP as they are with IAX2.  Until IAX2 has some
> type of "backwards path notification", there is no method (to my
> knowledge) that IAX2 can notify the origin servers that the call has
> been terminated.  The only way for any server in the path to know the
> status of the call (with IAX2) is to not transfer the call away from
> itself, thus bearing the full load of the media stream and the
> control channel.
>
> I would be happy to learn of other's experiences in managing this
> issue, as it is quite important (mandatory, really) in any type of
> managed service environment.

If you depend on behavior of an unspecified client your asking for
trouble. It would be pretty trivial to get a client to send back this
'Call Completed' message right after a re-invite/native bridge has
completed.  If you have access to the source you can modify the client to
do it, or if you have access to the network you have something proxy'ng
the packets and at certain times including or excluding certain messages

James