[Asterisk-Users] making * more like a normal pbx (cisco ata-186)

Jay Milk jay at skimmilk.net
Mon Jun 14 14:58:46 MST 2004

You're probably up the creek with the ATA186.  I had one of mine
unlocked from Vonage, and I think it'll go on ebay and I'll upgrade to
another Sipura instead.  I tested hotline functionality on sipura
(pick-up phone and go right into context) successfully.  It's
conceivable you could change the sipura's dial-plan to include a
singular "9", which takes you into the incoming context, and then you
could...

[incoming]
9,1,Dialtone
9,2,....

Of course, predialing (my phones let me dial a number on display, and
once I pick up the receiver, they're dialed) would now become a problem,
as establishing the connection may cause the first DTMF digit after the
9 to be missed by *, and you'd have to add a pause to all speed-dial (or
pre-dial) numbers.  If you're setting up asterisk for home-use, consider
using "1" as the indicator for outside lines and always dialing 11
digits.  That's what I have done, and it's oh-so-wife-friendly, plus I
can always re-dial any incoming CID number without thinking about the
area code, etc.