[Asterisk-Users] OT: fax obsoleted? Was: Re: Fax via email

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon Jun 14 10:31:56 MST 2004

On 2004.06.14 09:31 Chris Travers wrote:

> But, let me ask you this.  Suppose that I produced PDF forms which
> could be edited and then uploaded into a drop-box on my web site.
> This does not address some of the concerns about www/email vs fax,
> but it does address many of them.

You creating a PDF, hanging it on your website, and then requiring the
"recipient" to download the PDF does not constitute what I was
referring to as "sender intitiated" communication.  You're still
requiring the recipient to take an active part in the communication.
With fax, the participation of the recipient can be passive.  So the
scenario that you outline here is already web-only.  We don't commonly
see people asking "receipients" to poll faxes any more.  But people are
regularly instructed to visit websites.

The non-obsoleted functionality of fax that I was describing was one
where the sender initiates the communication and the recipient does
nothing more but passive participation (i.e., has fax-receiving
equipment on standby).

Lee.