[Asterisk-Users] *** Asterisk Sunday News: Off track with 1.0, moving forward

Olle E. Johansson oej at edvina.net
Sun Jun 13 11:55:12 MST 2004

TC wrote:

>>Does Asterisk have a test plan for releases?  It seems like if there was
>>a plan for testing that people could carry out (in a distributed
>>manner), our releases might not have so many quirky bugs.  Most testing
>>can be automated; only some would have to be done in an interactive
>>manner with real people.
>>
>>Nick
>
> Is Nick volunteering to write test cases (for the next 12 mths)
> I would luv to see how we could write automated tests for all the different
> config combinations for all the different uses that lead to 'so many of the
> quirky bugs'
> We might had a chance in hell if we wrote a test case B4 any function were
> written
> back porting test cases to what is it 80K lines an growing is a project the
> size of asterisk
> please tell talk up if you know some trick here :)

We can never test 100% of the functionality in Asterisk, but every little
piece we can write test scripts for is a huge step forward. That way, we can
be sure that core functions actually works as expected, even though we change
the code.

I would love having some SIP testing scripts for all the changes
I'm planning for the SIP channel. There are some coming up on the horizon,
so SIP may be easier to test than the rest. But there are Asterisk specific
multiprotocol stuff to test, like SIP to IAX or IVR conferences from
a SIP channel with DTMF functionality intact.

Maybe Adam or Steve can add some scripting capability to their IAX/SIP clients
so we can use them for testing :-)

/Olle