[Asterisk-Users] DID/T1

Steve Underwood steveu at coppice.org
Fri Jun 11 22:28:16 MST 2004

dkwok wrote:

> I need clarification as to DID in T1 connection.
>
> T1 provides 24 channels for voice/data. Do it assign each channel to
> particular DID. Or you can have unlimited DID to share the 24 channel
> as an example. ie. Outgoing/incoming traffic is not bound to
> particular channel. Whatever is available will be used according to
> the grouping in zapata.conf.

If you get 24 voice channels on your T1, you must be using robbed bit
signalling, rather than ISDN. There are a number of robbed bit variants,
going by a number of different names. However, they all share the
ability to handle DID. Some send the dialed number as DTMF. Some send it
as Bell MF tones. They can also send caller ID, by dialing a string of
digits with * characters to delimit what is the caller number and what
is the dialed number. Details of which robbed bit variant you are using
is left as an exercise for the reader. :-)

Regards,
Steve