[Asterisk-Users] Cisco 7940

Scott Laird scott at sigkill.org
Fri Jun 11 15:46:05 MST 2004

On Jun 11, 2004, at 1:56 PM, oi geli wrote:

> I want to buy a 7940 to use with Asterisk. Does all
> the features (i.e. Transfer, Hold, call waiting, MWI,
> etc)work?

Transfer: yes
Hold: yes
Call Waiting: yes, although it works better if you configure two line
appearances for the same Asterisk extension.
MWI: yes

> How difficult it is to configure 7940?

It's not all that bad, if you follow the examples online.  The hard
part is getting the right SIP firmware onto it.  That took me around 90
minutes.  The process is rather convoluted.  You can't just upgrade
straight to a modern SIP image--you have to upgrade via a specific
sequence of older versions.  As I recall, v2.0.2 is critical.

I'd say "typical Cisco," but it's actually a bit worse then I'd usually
expect from them.  The configuration file, on the other hand, it's too
bad, and there are tons of examples online.

Scott