[Asterisk-Users] Intel 537EP chipset, revisited

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Fri Jun 11 04:05:51 MST 2004

On Friday 11 June 2004 01:07, Lee Howard wrote:
> And furthermore, Intel uses the same driver for all of the 537
> chipsets, so I would think that the FA82537EP chip would be compatible
> with the MD3200 chip.

First of all -- very good email.  You did your research, you tried some
things, you scratched your head, tried some more...  Bravo!  These are the
kinds of emails that should be nominated for "How to Ask a Good Question" of
the year posts, and I'm not kidding.

The part of your message I quoted is important.  Universal drivers don't mean
the chipsets they 'drive' are compatible.  Intel could have just put drivers
for two different chipsets into one driver and left it at that.  Sure, it
makes the driver bigger but the support implications are much nicer.  "Grab
the latest driver" instead of "Grab the driver for the Intel EP... no E as in
Enchantingly... yes, and then P as in Phrustrated... no, P, not F... can't
you spell?" -- you get the idea.  :-)

nVidia is another company that does the same thing with their universal
drivers.

Regards,
Andrew