[Asterisk-Users] NAT and symmetric fw

Harold Workman hworkman at cytelcom.com
Thu Jun 10 10:14:20 MST 2004

Hi,

I read to use NAT clients behind firewalls to use nat=yes and qualify=xxx to
keep a nat connection open.  I am using sip clients behind a  firewall that
is symmetric and my * box on public internet.  Are these the only two
options that I need in my configuration?  Isnt the qualify command actually
the amount of time it waits when it sends out the "keepalive" packet to the
client before determining that its unreachable.  How often does * send this
"keepalive" packet?  Is it configurable?  Does anyone have this working with
clients behind symmetric firewalls?

If i turn off qualify, I am able to make calls to the sip client, but after
60 secs of inactivity calls made to the client time out, due to firewall
closing nat connection.

I dont understand why i can dial to the phone, but the "keepalive" fails
right away. any ideas what would cause this?

Harold Workman
CCNA, CCNP
Cytel Communications
hworkman at cytelcom.com