[Asterisk-Users] NetworkWorld article on Open Source Telephony

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Wed Jun 9 15:23:25 MST 2004

Senad Jordanovic wrote:

>Jeremy McNamara wrote:
>

>>Chris Bond wrote:
>>

>>>I think one thing * is lacking at the moment is a web interface to
>>>manage and add users and do anything you can do via a shell
>>>interface. If it had that but on a simplified level (oblessly you
>>>can have an advanced mode too).
>>>

>>The power of asterisk comes from its method of config. If one wraps it
>>with a GUI one will inherently limit the flexibility.
>>
>>Then since the GUI is what gets 'seen' people ~may~ take the lack of
>>flexibility or even just the look and flow of the GUI to be a
>>reflection
>>on the power of Asterisk.
>>

>Maybe, maybe not... Depending how one designs the GUI!

No, I think that GUIs though needed, do limit flexibility because the
information density is limited on the user->system direction (they are
better on the System->user end, however).  However, this is NOT an
argument not to package them with the project.

When I was a newbie at Samba, I used to use SWAT (Samba Web Admin Tool)
all the time.  However, eventially I discovered that it became easier
for me to just modify the config files.  This process would not have
occurred as easily if I had to learn the config files at first.  Guis
are great at allowing less knowledgable people to administrate the
server with relative competency.  They are not so good at allowing one
to really engineer the right solution for a customer.  So I think both
interface types are needed.

Another example is X11 on Linux with lots of admin tools.  Great for
newbies, just not the best for experts.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers
Metatron Technology Consulting