[Asterisk-Users] NetworkWorld article on Open Source Telephon y

Colin Anderson ColinA at landmarkmasterbuilder.com
Wed Jun 9 08:51:12 MST 2004

>I like the way the 3com NBX system works.  The web interface is pretty
>intuitive.  Adding users and devices is a snap through the GUI but to get
>the real meat you have to edit the dial plan.  To do this, you download a
>text file to your desktop, edit it, then upload it again.

Ditto on the Mitel ICP 3300. It's just a GUI layer on top of their command
line crap that they dusted off from the SX-2000. Mitel had a great
opportunity to redefine PBX managment and they kind of p*ssed it away
because their managment stuff was designed by engineers, not GUI designers.
At this stage, from what I can see, there's no functional difference between
configuring * vs my 3300. So, take heart, * users, Mr. Spenser's little
project is, IMHO, equivalent to what an army of Mitel engineers took years
to do.