[Asterisk-Users] NetworkWorld article on Open Source Telephony

Chris Bond chris at logics.co.uk
Wed Jun 9 06:08:26 MST 2004

> This is the traditional view of telecoms in large organisations. However
> it seems in a lot of large companies they are dumping their existing
> telecoms wholesale for an IP solution, on a site by site basis,  as soon
> as the maintainence contract renewal comes around. It surprises me to
> see that, and maybe I have seen a very unrepresentative sample, but in
> some places it does appear to be happening. Of course, right now things
> like * do not have an adequate reputation to pick up much of that
> business. There is, however, a preparedness there for radical change.

I think one thing * is lacking at the moment is a web interface to manage
and add users and do anything you can do via a shell interface.  If it had
that but on a simplified level (oblessly you can have an advanced mode too).

It could also integrate with the CDR, meetup, sms, voicemail functions that
exist in *.  So rather than have different projects for over view of who's
on the phone and to who, etc you have one management interface.

Just my opinion, at the moment I don't know enough about * to start writing
an interface like this.  But im sure some of the guys on the list do =)

Kind Regards,
Chris Bond