[Asterisk-Users] Fax via email

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Tue Jun 8 20:33:05 MST 2004

Steve Underwood wrote:

> If you want to FAX over IP you need to be *very* careful if you want it
> to be reliable. You cannot use anything other than A-law or u-law as the
> codec. However, even using those, any data slips will kill the FAX
> operation. If the two boxes are on the same LAN it tends to work OK.

Yes, I would think that this sort of application would be either local
LAN or _extremely_ low latency WAN connections only, and probably not
use audio compression at all. If you can't handle a few 64kb/s streams
of audio for your FAXing application, then you have other problems to
worry about :-)

> I mean CPU loading. HylaFAX only does 1D coding (unless that changed
> very recently) and the ECM is brand new. The features you list may be a
> lot less well tested than you think. :-) Also, only a tiny fraction of
> FAX machines can even support ECM.

As mentioned in the other replies, these are no longer true statements
as of HylaFAX 4.2.0 (which is not yet released, but very close). And
putting the virtual modem client and HylaFAX on a separate box from
Asterisk should eliminate CPU consumption concerns, I'd think.