[Asterisk-Users] Fax via email

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at backtobasicsmgmt.com
Mon Jun 7 18:05:23 MST 2004

Steve Underwood wrote:

> spandsp doesn't try to reimplement all of HylaFAX. It reimplements only
> one piece - the T.4/T.30 code. I have a half implemented "spandsp as
> class 1 fax modem" which I put aside. People are using spandsp happily
> for things like fax to e-mail. Introducing HylaFAX would really slow
> things down. That said, I'd really like to complete the class 1 modem
> interface, and make HylaFAX an option for people.

Well, I was thinking of HylaFAX running on another box, with some type
of IAX2 "virtual FAX modem" client running on the same machine, using
IAX2 to communicate to Asterisk. That would remove the CPU usage from
the Asterisk box and put it where it belongs.

I'm curious how you think "HylaFAX would really slow things down", if
you mean something other that CPU usage? I'd see adding HylaFAX to the
mix as adding well-tested and reliable ECM, MR, MMR and other protocol
support on top of the virtual modem you've already implemented, as well
as supporting alternative FAX origination methods (email, print, etc.).