[Asterisk-Users] Network Sniffing Calls for recording

Leo Ann Boon leo at innovax.com.sg
Tue Jun 8 16:47:46 MST 2004

I only know of 2 such systems. 1 from Nice and the other from Eyretel
(now part of Witness). The Nice solution has a option to sniff on a
network hub, while the Eyretel requires a span port on a Cisco switch.

The way these systems work is quite straightforward. When a call is
connected, the IP PBX sends the endpoints to be recorded to the
recorder. The recorder just captures all the RTP packets originating
from the end points. The scheme is easy to implement in a hub
environment. In a switched environment, things are more complicated;
that's where the span port comes in.

To use the span port, the network admin must manually configure the
switch to copy packets to/from the target ports to the span port. I
suspect the span port might get saturated very easily. Forwarding 2
ports produces a maximum bandwidth of 200Mbps to be copied into the
100Mbps span port, add another few more ports and it'll skyrocket. Guess
you'll need more switches to support large scale recording.

I was toying with the idea of using arp-spoofing, man-in-the-middle
attack, to build a sniffing recorder. But, it will have a similar
saturation problem like the span port method.

Just my $0.02.