[Asterisk-Users] Application possibilities

John Gerlich john at voxiva.net
Mon Jun 7 13:55:31 MST 2004

As a newbie to * there is a lot I do not yet understand. Before I jump
onboard I could use some help in evaluating whether * is the way to go
on applications I'm about to put together and spec. Here are a number of
questions that will help me in my evaluations. I hope this belongs in
this group.

The first application is a outdial app. with the option of the called
party opting in to be transferred to a call center. I know all of the
restrictions in the U.S. about do not call lists but they do not apply
to this. The outcall will be placed VoIP with gateways taking it back to
the PSTN in various locations worldwide. Some of the gateways will be *
and some will be commercially available gateways probably running Cisco
boxes. My * questions are:

1.                   What is the estimated simultaneous call capacity of
a single server placing calls and playing a message and allowing the
called party to request a call transfer either to a PSTN number or
another VoIP address?

2.                   Is it possible to transfer calls to as VXML server
and then retrieve the call when the VXML browser hangs up? Similar to a
recall type action.

3.                   What is the maximum number of conference
participants possible in a single conference? Would it be best to have a
separate * server for conferences. The conferences would be a mix of
listen only and listen / speak parties.

4.                   Is there a good pool of * developers that would
take on contract work to develop apps. using *?

Any help in leading me down the right path is much appreciated.