[Asterisk-Users] isdn4linux, NETjet, chan_modem help needed

Aleks Huson aleks.huson at digitalkarma.com.au
Mon Jun 7 00:19:48 MST 2004

I'm trying to get a basic Asterisk configuration together for ISDN incoming
/ outgoing calls. I have two Cisco 7905g phones working (at least talking to
each other) and have purchased a NETjet-S PCI ISDN card for routing calls to
/ from ISDN.

The state I've managed to get it to is:-

    -- Executing Ringing("SIP/PHONE2-d557", "") in new stack

    -- Executing Dial("SIP/PHONE2-d557", "Modem/ttyI0:v0413xxxxxx") in new
stack

    -- Called ttyI0:v0413xxxxxx

On the Asterisk console when I dial a test mobile number (I've used
0413xxxxxx to replace the actual digits in the output above) from a SIP
phone. The numbers I'm dialing are 00413xxxxxx.

I get ring tone on the dialing handset, but it just keeps ringing and
nothing happens at the destination (i.e. the mobile).

When I hang up, the output completes with this:-

    -- Hungup 'Modem[i4l]/ttyI0'

  == Spawn extension (default, 00413163999, 2) exited non-zero on
'SIP/PHONE2-d557'

As far as I can tell, there is no action on the ISDN line itself (no
messages in dmesg / log files, LED's on NETjet do not blink as if in use)

I've tried to include as much relevant info as a can below (apologies if
anything missed):-

Asterisk version 0.9.0 running on Linux 2.4.26

I've tried both compiling the NETjet drivers into the kernel, then as
modules (as described in the NETjet doco)

I've applied the voice patch from Traverse to the NETjet code as documented.

When compiled as a module, modprobe hisax type=20 protocol=2 id="HiSax",
produces (similar output in log when compiled into kernel):-

ISDN subsystem Rev: 1.1.4.1/1.1.4.1/1.1.4.1/1.1.4.1/1.1.4.1/1.1.4.1 loaded

HiSax: Linux Driver for passive ISDN cards

HiSax: Version 3.5 (module)

HiSax: Layer1 Revision 1.1.4.1

HiSax: Layer2 Revision 1.1.4.1

HiSax: TeiMgr Revision 1.1.4.1

HiSax: Layer3 Revision 1.1.4.1

HiSax: LinkLayer Revision 1.1.4.1

HiSax: Approval certification failed because of

HiSax: unauthorized source code changes

HiSax: Total 1 card defined

HiSax: Card 1 Protocol EDSS1 Id=HiSax (0)

HiSax: Traverse Tech. NETjet-S driver Rev. 1.1.4.1

PCI: Found IRQ 10 for device 05:0b.0

NETjet-S: PCI card configured at 0x1000 IRQ 10

NETjet-S: ISAC version (0): 2086/2186 V1.1

NETjet-S: IRQ 10 count 0

NETjet-S: IRQ 10 count 4

HiSax: DSS1 Rev. 1.1.4.1

HiSax: 2 channels added

HiSax: MAX_WAITING_CALLS added

In my extensions.conf under my [default] section:-

exten => _0XXXXXXXXXX,1,Ringing

exten => _0XXXXXXXXXX,2,Dial,Modem/ttyI0:v${EXTEN:1}

exten => _0XXXXXXXXXX,3,Congestion

In my modem.conf (xxxxxxxx replaces main phone number):-

[interfaces]

context=remote

driver=i4l

stripmsd=0

dialtype=tone

mode=immediate

group=1

msn=02xxxxxxxx&L*

stripmsd=0

device => /dev/ttyI0

device => /dev/ttyI1

Whether this is relevant or not, we have 4 ISDN services (i.e. 8 lines),
which are configured as a rotary with a 100 number DID. I temporarily remove
1 of these ISDN services from our existing phone system for testing the
above. The 02nnnnnnnn number specified in the modem.conf is the directory
number for the indial.

Guy from Traverse has assisted me with overcoming an IRQ conflict I had
earlier, which was causing the machine to hang at the NETjet code during
boot when the ISDN cable was plugged into the card. This now appears to be
functioning normally, and the machine will boot fine with the cable
connected.

Many thanks in advance for anyone who can offer assistance.

---

Aleks Huson