[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk & fax-out

steve at daviesfam.org steve at daviesfam.org
Thu Jun 3 23:43:00 MST 2004

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Doug R wrote:

> I want to setup a phone system that can allow the caller to type in a
> faxback number, and automatically be sent a fax file.  Is this possible
> with Asterisk?  Or using Asterisk & a Linux fax program?  I've seen
> stuff about incoming faxes, but nothing about outgoing.  This is over a
> Zap channel, not IP, btw.

I did see that the spandsp FAX stuff has TXFax as well as RXFax.  So I
presume that you'd be able to arrange your Asterisk to either send the FAX
on the very same call ("call this number from your FAX machine handset,
choose the info you're looking for and then start receiving"), or create a
call spoolfile and initiate a seperate outbound call.

I think you should evaluate the spandsp fax stuff for yourself, though.
It works nicely for me in my limited testing but does seem to have open
issues with some fax machines.

Steve