[Asterisk-Users] Re: Transfer with Budgetone

Nik Martin nmartin at radiancetech.com
Wed Jun 2 19:33:42 MST 2004

Tony Hoyle wrote:

> No idea what you mean by PBX class telephone but if anyone at our
> company spent $500 on a phone they'd probably be fired (unless it was
> the boss).
>
> Our desktop phones were done as a package deal from the building owner
> (who also runs the existing PBX) for almost nothing.
>

> All the company would want a phone to do is:
>
> 1. Make calls.
> 2. Receive calls.
>
> Just a straight replacement of the cheap phones that everyone gets with
> one that has a cat5 socket on the back, does DHCP and auto configures
> itself. Nothing flashy.  It doesn't need an LCD display with the time on
> it, or a big flashing 'message' button.  Just a phone - preferably for
> no more cost than an analogue phone.

You really should be using analog phones with asterisk.  You'll be a
hero to your boss, because the phones wont cost a pile.  All you need to
add is a channel bank for the analog phones, and asterisk.  There is a
reason that cisco 7960's cost whet they do:  features and performance.
If you just need analog features, go with analog phones.

Nik