[Asterisk-Users] IP Phone with multiple accounts on same instance of asterisk

Patrick Lidstone (Personal e-mail) patrick at lidstone.net
Wed Jun 2 16:00:31 MST 2004

Please excuse me if this is a niaive question...

I have Cisco 7940 (but same applies to Snom's too), and it would be
convenient to have multiple extensions on the same phone registered
against the same asterisk instance. (E.g. one extension which is
associated with work, one extension which is associated with personal
calls etc). However, when I do this, Asterisk/the phone seems to get
hopelessly confused - incoming calls do not get routed to the correct
extension. I think this might be related to the fact that I have a
single IP address associated with multiple extensions in my SIP.conf.

Is this is known limitation of asterisk? Or am I simply implementing my
dialplan/routing incorrectly? Suggestions for a workaround which allow
the separation of work and home contexts gratefully received...

Patrick