[Asterisk-Users] GnoPhone

Jason A. Pattie pattieja at pcxperience.com
Wed Jun 2 07:49:33 MST 2004

Stuart Grimshaw wrote:
| Hi Guys,
|
| I've got Asterisk almst set up. It can receive incoming calls, route
| them  to voicemail and log into fwd.
|
| I'm currently trying to find a soft phone that will work properly of my
| Gentoo based laptop. So far I've tried kphone, which could dial
| internal  extensions (I spent ages just laughing at the monkeys :-), but
| I found it  to be unstable, and would crash when trying to initiate a
| call (seemingly  at random)
|
| I'm trying to set up GnoPhone, and I can't get it to connect to asterisk.
|
| iax.conf contains these lines:
|
| [iaxdouglas]
| type=friend
| secret=xxxxx
| host=dynamic
| context=sip
| mailbox=1000
| callerid="Stuart Grimshaw"
| permit=10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0
|
| This setup was taken from the "Getting GnoPhone Working" section of
| voip-info
|
| extensions.conf has
|
| ;gnophone on douglas
| exten => 2,1,Dial(IAX/iaxdouglas,20,tr)
|
| iax2 show peers gives:
|
| iaxdouglas       (Unspecified)   (D)  255.255.255.255  0
| Unmonitored
|
| I get nothing in the asterisk console, even with iax2 debug turned on.
|
| Any ideas any one?

Gnophone only support IAX, not IAX2.  Apparently the latest versions of
Asterisk (at least what's available in Debian) ship with only IAX2 and
not IAX, so gnophone doesn't work them.

I've tried using iaxcomm, but I get scratchy, pulsating, popping audio.
~ The other end says that my voice quality is excellent but extremely
low.  When I used gnophone, there were no such complaints, except that
it sounds like I'm in a tin can or something like that, but the audio
level is much higher.

- --
Jason A. Pattie
pattieja at xperienceinc.com