[Asterisk-Users] G.729 fallback

Chris A. Icide chris at netgeeks.net
Tue Jun 1 10:36:55 MST 2004

I haven't looked at Mantis yet to see if this is listed as a bug, but if it
isn't, it should be.

G729 and any other codec should have a much better fail-over method.

Perhaps before sending or responding to an INVITE, a check should be done
on the number of available licenses, and if there are not enough licenses
to complete the invite, g729 (or the licensed codec if using something
else) should not be supplied in the transaction as an available option.

It's not easy getting Asterisk into business environments when people ask
about this and I have to reply, well, if you just buy more g729 licenses
than you could possibly ever use on the busiest day of your phone system....

As for the comment below...

On 08:53 AM 6/1/2004, Kevin Walsh wrote:
 >Mike Heininger [mike at heininger.at] wrote:
 >> It's a pity ... it would be great to fallback to another (free) codec.
 >>
 >Just use a relatively-free codec (iLBC or GSM etc.) in the first place,
 >and avoid G.729.  That strategy works for me. :-)

While in some cases, just not using G729 may be a valid option, there will
ALWAYS be exceptions to that.