[Asterisk-Users] Some (lack of) answers regarding the wakeup call application...

Steven Critchfield critch at basesys.com
Tue Jun 1 08:57:22 MST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 10:27, Rob Fugina wrote:

> It has occurred to me that the two AGI scripts could be rewritten as real
> compiled asterisk applications, but then it always hits me that without
> some kind of cron-line built-in scheduler, or changes to the outgoing
> call queueing that would allow a call to be scheduled for the future,
> there would still be that external cron-driven shell script.  Ugly.
>
> What I'm wondering is this:  Is there enough interest in the new features
> I mentioned (either an internal scheduler or scheduled outgoing calls)
> that I should work on a C version of the wakeup AGI scripts, or should
> my (impending) next rewrite maintain the current architecture?

A question, I don't like the idea of a cron-scheduler in asterisk but I
don't have a really good reason not to like it. I do however think that
by adding some form of date parser and a new configuration option to the
sample.call file wouldn't be too bad of an idea. I am only slightly
concerned that the reading of the file regularly might cause delays in
asterisk.

Consider this, you add the time-of-call config to sample.call, then you
have a few 100 calls queued, what is the time to open, read, and parse
the date string before deciding to act or not. Is this behavior going to
be likely to cause calls to go out late. What is an acceptable amount
late for a call to be processed.

Otherwise I think the idea of placing the time in the file and letting
it poll and then fire it off is a good idea.