[Asterisk-Users] Softphone - Freeware?!

Nicolas Gudino nicolas at house.com.ar
Sat Jul 31 08:03:42 MST 2004

Hi Eric,

Eric Bart wrote:
> Thanks for the correction
>
> I didn't know that SIP would do. As I understood
> the R key will send the flash signal.
>
> However does it really act as a transfer ?
> For the zap transfer, as said in :
> http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Asterisk%20tips%20zap%20transfer
> when the transferer hangs up each parties are disconnected.

This is for ZAP channels, the original question was:

 > have one X100P installed with two SIP extensions using X-Lite, I just
 > would like to transfer the call to another SIP extension; Just a
 > "Flash"+"Extension"+"Hangup CALL"

He wants to transfer a call from one SIP extension to another... All sip
devices that I know off (I'm not talking about soft phones, I do not use
them, so I can say anything about them) have a way to transfer a call to
another sip device by themselves (without the help of asterisk).

Grandstream phones have a 'transfer' key. If you press that key and then
dial the extension you like to transfer and then hangup (just like the
original poster asked), it will just work. Its a blind transfer, and you
better dial the desired extension right, because if you made a mistake,
the call will be lost in limbo as some other users are reporting (a
grandstream feature/bug)

Sipuras can do this to: just by flashing the analog phone. They are
capable of consultative transfers also (they let you talk to the
destination party before transferring the call)

I tried them both, transferring an inbound call from a ZAP FXO line to a
sip extension and it works great, no hangups, no problems. With sipuras
I can do consultative transfers also, I use them all the time.

You can also achieve the same results by using asterisk transfer feature
(T or t options in the dial command). In this case the transfer will be
allways blind. It works perfect with ZAP FXO and SIP FXS for me.

If you want consultative transfers with asterisk, you can sort of have
it by using parking: you can dial '#' to transfer, then send the call to
the parked calls extension, and the parked extension will be read back
to you. Then you hangup and talk to the extension you want the call to
be transferred: 'you have Bob on the extension 702'. The other party can
now dial that extension and talk to Bob. Its not a consultative transfer
as regular phone users are accustomed, but it works. And if the parked
call times out, it will ring back the extension that parked it on the
first place. And I'm sure it works also with other technologies as IAX2
or CAPI.

> Is it what you are experiencing ?
>
> With my app when the transferer hangs up the others
> parties stay connected ... I'm wondering whether it's
> useful or not :)

Maybe your application cann fill the gap for sip devices that are not
capable of consultative transfers by themselves...

Best regards,

--
Nicolas Gudino
House Internet S.R.L.