[Asterisk-Users] RAID affecting X100P performance...

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Sat Jul 31 06:45:20 MST 2004

On Saturday 31 July 2004 00:20, Steven Critchfield wrote:
> Actually, it isn't VoIP data yet, VoIP is Voice over Internet Protocol.
> The 1000hz interupt is still just digitizing the audio off the PSTN
> link. When it comes time to read/write VoIP data, it is likely 20ms of
> audio, plus headers and IP encapsulation. If you are lucky, your LAN/WAN
> card supports DMA and is reading the packet on it's own out of memory.

Duh, yes, you're right...  How were my numbers for the TDM data coming off the
Zap hardware?

1000Hz sampling off the PSTN (You're grabbing 8 samples though aren't you?) --
8 bit PCM data * number of channels * number of samples, right?

So 64 bytes / interrupt per channel in use, one-way, 128 bytes for both
directions?

And are the TE400/405P cards the only Digium cards that handle DMA?

-A.