[Asterisk-Users] Astricon Conference Call?

Greg Boehnlein damin at nacs.net
Fri Jul 30 13:41:41 MST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Steve Woolley wrote:

> I thought the interesting exercise would be to use asterisk for the
> task. Couldn't we use a kind of distributed conference call where a few
> key select/high bandwidth asterisk servers form the main conference and
> then have multiple layers of conferencing. That way no one
> server/network is saturated.

As long as you ensure that no-one can SPEAK in the conference, this should
be just fine.

The Conference could be beamed out to a single Asterisk server (The
Master) and then distributed via IAX2 and MeetMe to a bunch of servers in
different area codes (The Slaves).

We do this all the time between my IAX2/guest at pbx.nacs.net/4570 bridge,
BKW's system and occasionally the NuFone MeetMe.

It would be trivial to coordinate. I can provide a high-bandwidth
distribution point, and NuFone has offered the same. I don't see any
reason why this can't be easily accomplished.

                             KP-216-121-ST