[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk PID file

Tom Lawrence tom at kinitron.co.uk
Thu Jul 29 03:15:57 MST 2004

Hi All,

I have a asterisk v1 rc1 installation on fedora core 2 with zaptel drivers
installed ok. However I seem to have lost the .pid file in /var/run or even
/var/run/asterisk.

If I run 'asterisk' I get:

Unable to open pid file 'var/run/asterisk/asterisk.pid' : No such file or
directory

If I run 'asterisk -vvvvc' it seems to run fine!

Also I copied over the redhat service script, this will run first time
however if I do a restart it will sometimes cause a kernel panic, which I
don't think is that great!

The kernel panic seems rather intermittent and I think its something to do
with the zaptel drivers as when it happens in '-vvvvc' it stops when parsing
the zapata.conf file.

Personally I think this is all to do with this .pid file as it seemed to be
running ok before that disappeared. Sorry if this is something simple to do
with Linux, I'm not too great with Linux yet!

Hope someone can help me!

_/_/_/_/_/     _/_/_/_/     _/_/_/_/_/

   _/       _/_/    _/_/   _/  _/  _/

  _/       _/_/    _/_/   _/  _/  _/

 _/         _/_/_/_/     _/  _/  _/

Asterisk service script snippet:

start)

      echo -n "Starting Asterisk PBX: "

      #/sbin/modprobe wcfxo

      #/sbin/modprobe wcfxs

      daemon /usr/sbin/asterisk

      RETVAL=$?

      echo

      [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/asterisk

      ;;

  stop)

      echo -n "Shutting Asterisk PBX: "

      killproc asterisk

      #/sbin/rmmod wcfxs

      #/sbin/rmmod wcfxo

      RETVAL=$?

      echo

      [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && rm -f /var/lock/subsys/asterisk

      ;;

  restart|reload)

      $0 stop

      $0 start