[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk, PBX, VoIP and PRI

Peter Svensson psvasterisk at psv.nu
Wed Jul 28 23:17:32 MST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Chris Johnson wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Chris Johnson wrote:
>
> >Why not plug the PRI into a TE410P in the asterisk box and handle both the
> >ppp and the voice via asterisk?
>
> If it'll work, sounds great!!  Anyone doing this?

Sorry, there are no analog softmodem drivers yet. I have been living in
isdn land for too long and forgot about the analog modems. There are
indeed drivers for ppp over isdn direct but no softmodem for analog calls.

We have solved this by routing those calls to our old pbx (over an E1
PRI) from which a couple of BRI:s go to isdn modems with analog
capabilities.

So, you should be able to hook up your old PRI equipment to Asterisk, i.e.

     PSTN  -PRI-  Asterisk  -PRI-  Old_equipment
                     \
                      ---lan--- sip stuff

This is sort of what we are doing. As far as I can tell the digital
channels are passed transparently from one pri to the other once a call is
set up. We can do both analog termination and direct isdn connections.

Peter